Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Social Networking: Poke you

There is an interesting phenomena taken over by seemingly normal individuals belonging to the Facebook club. Well, everyone is in FB nowadays, but there is an exclusive group of people who wish to acknowledge each other by way of the ubiquitous 'poke' button. So great is the exuberance of some of these 'pokers', so great the frequency with which they poke, that a group was started within FB to satiate the poking needs of some of its members. Mind you, what makes this group perhaps more exclusive to the participant is that it is composed, to my knowledge, of active members of yet another social network called Flickr. 

The funny thing for me is that I have been an active member in Flickr for a good time now, but this marks the first time that I was located in FB by a member of my Flickr community (or I should rather say, I belong to his), and was invited to partake of this Poke group transferred over to FB from Flickr. Another first is that I accepted this nice man's friending invitation in FB without knowing him first outside the context of our online communities. Why is this of any note? Well, I function as myself in Flickr, but do it under the sobriquet Metaphorae. In FB, I use my real name. 

Anyway, while this may be inconsequential to most people accustomed to using their real names in public domains, this is notable for me as I am just now beginning to bridge both online and real life spheres. 

No comments:

Post a Comment