Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 28 of the 30 Day Challenge: Flowers (pottery)

The plan was to buy the perfect bloom to photograph for today's challenge, but as I looked around, I realized I am surrounded by flowers and flower motifs throughout the house. And this is what I found, sitting on my dining room table all along, just patiently waiting for me to notice.

The name for this type of pottery is Talavera, but as in everything, there are many variations out there. I cannot afford the high end versions much the same way that I cannot afford Wedgewood nor any other kind of brand name earthenware or porcelain. At $25 to $50 USD a plate, even these colorful plates become cost prohibitive once you start calculating an entire set for 30 people.  But from time to time, I spoil myself a little and pick up inexpensive pieces from here and there.

The green lidded pot at the top is probably from the 1960s or earlier, it is something my mom found for me at a garage sale. The other two pieces are inexpensive vases (with tops) that were mass produced, but they retain that gorgeous cobalt hue that I love in dinner ware. The little brass tray with green inserts and the tiny incense holder are probably Indian. The silver tray must be about half a century old or more, it belonged to my grandmother.

I am really inspired now, I will miss doing the challenge once it ends.  That much I have learned.


3 comments:

  1. Great idea for sure.
    I will also miss the challenge as you know it. Thanks for the offer on starting something together, what are you thinking about. You can e-mail me zenmindphotography@gmail.com and let's talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words of gratitude. I'm so glad you joined and and fell back in love with your camera. I'll continue to follow you on your photography journey.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not only enjoyed seeing what you dovwith a camera, but also the words you've associated with the images you've taken. You've established a very personal connection with what you've shown us, a very warm connection at that. I've not done anything like this before and automatically assumed I'd fall by the wayside. It's been really good fun though. What next?

    ReplyDelete